When looking to travel to the Yellowstone area, some people may want to know what airport is the closest airport for them to travel to and from. Yellowstone National Park does offer several good options for flying into and out of the area.
West Yellowstone Airport is the closest airport to Yellowstone National Park. The airport is only a few miles from the park entrance but has a limited flight schedule. The airport is not open all year round. Other airports include Jackson Hole Airport and Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport; both offer more flights, car rentals, and ground transportation options.
Table of Contents
- West Yellowstone Airport Is The Closest Airport To Yellowstone Park
- Yellowstone Travel – Airports in Wyoming – Jackson Hole Airport
- Yellowstone Travel – Airports In Montana – Bozeman Yellowstone Airport
- Yellowstone Travel – Airports in Idaho – Idaho Falls Airport
- Conquer Virtual Challenges – Yellowstone National Park
- Related Questions
West Yellowstone Airport Is The Closest Airport To Yellowstone Park
The closest airport to Yellowstone Park is the West Yellowstone Airport. West Yellowstone Airport is only a few miles from the Yellowstone park entrance.
The airport does have two major US carriers that fly into the airport.
Here are a few facts about the West Yellowstone airport:
- Airport Code– The airport code for West Yellowstone Airport is WYS.
- Flights From Salt Lake City And Denver – West Yellowstone Airport has flights from Salt Lake City and Denver as follows:
- Delta Airlines – Delta Airlines flies from Salt Lake City direct to West Yellowstone Airport
- United Airlines – United Airlines flies from Denver direct to West Yellowstone Airport
- Delta Airlines – Delta Airlines flies from Salt Lake City direct to West Yellowstone Airport
The West Yellowstone Airport has two Car Rental Agencies, as listed below
- Avis Car Rental – The West Yellowstone Airport has an Avis Car Rental counter. You can call the West Yellowstone Avis Car Rental at +1 406 646 7635.
- Budget Car Rental – Besides Avis, there is a Budget Car Rental counter at the airport. You can call the Budget car rental at + 1 406 646 7882.
You should be able to book your rental car for either AVIS or Budget on their websites or other travel or car rental websites.
The West Yellowstone Airport is only open during the peak Yellowstone visiting months, usually June to Mid October. You can check with the individual airlines to see when they are scheduled to fly into the West Yellowstone Airport.
Yellowstone Travel – Airports in Wyoming – Jackson Hole Airport
The Jackson Hole Wyoming Airport is the next closest airport to Yellowstone; the Jackson Hole Airport is only 1 hour from Yellowstone.
As a bonus, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is a lovely town with great western art galleries, restaurants, bars, and high-end cowboy outfitters. Jackson Hole is the place to be if you want to do some exciting cowboy-watching.
The Jackson Hole Airport is also located in the Grand Teton National Park. If visiting the Grand Teton National Park is also on your list, Jackson Hole Airport would be the airport to fly into.
Here is some information about the Jackson Hole International Airport:
- Jackson Hole Airport Code – The Jackson Hole Airport code is JAC.
- Airlines – The major airlines that fly into Jackson Hole Airport include United, Delta, and American.
- Rental Cars – Jackson Hole Airport has a lot of on-site and off-site car rental companies. There are not as many Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport, but there are still a few choices.
- Ground Transportation – Jackson Hole Airport offers many ground transportation options, from taxi services to shuttle ride shares to VIP car services.
The Jackson Hole Airport is very close to Yellowstone, and as a bonus, Jackson Hole is a lovely town to explore. Plus, you can visit the Grand Teton National Park if you fly into Jackson Hole Airport.
You can discover more about Jackson Hole Airport by visiting their website by clicking here.
Listen To Our Podcast About Yellowstone National Park – A Great Place To Visit below or by clicking here.
Yellowstone Travel – Airports In Montana – Bozeman Yellowstone Airport
The Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport is about a 1-hour 31-minute drive from Yellowstone National Park. It is located in Bozeman, Montana.
Some major US Airlines fly into the airport, and you may find better rates to Bozeman than to West Yellowstone Airport.
Here is some information about Bozeman Yellowstone Airport
- Bozeman Yellowstone Airport Code – The Bozeman Yellowstone Airport Code is BZN.
- Airlines – Many more airlines fly into Bozeman, including Southwest, United, Delta, and others.
- Rental Cars – The airport is larger than West Yellowstone Airport, so they have more rental car companies. All the major Car Rental companies are located in Bozeman.
- Ground Transportation – Bozeman Yellowstone Airport also has a lot of ground transportation options for Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and other places.
The Bozeman Yellowstone Airport is an excellent option to get to Yellowstone. Not only is it closer than many of the other major airports, but you will have more airline, ground transportation, and rental car choices than at the West Yellowstone Airport.
Yellowstone Travel – Airports in Idaho – Idaho Falls Airport
Another option for travel to Yellowstone is the Idaho Falls Regional Airport. I have friends living in Idaho Falls, and most travel to Salt Lake City Airport. But there is a small airport in Idaho Falls that you can use to get to Yellowstone National Park.
The Idaho Falls Airport to Yellowstone National Park is 1 hour and 50 minutes; it is further than all the other airport options.
Here are a few facts about the Idaho Falls Airport:
- Airport Code – The airport code for the Idaho Falls Regional Airpot is IDA.
- Airlines – The airlines that fly into Idaho Falls Regional Airport are Allegiant, Alaska, United, Delta, and American Airlines.
- Car Rental – Some car rental agencies are located at the airport, but not as many as other airports.
- Ground Transportation – The airport does offer some ground transportation services to Yellowstone National Park.
The Idaho Falls Regional Airport is another option when flying into Yellowstone National Park. You can find out more about the Idaho Falls Regional Airport but visiting their website by clicking here.
These are the major airports to get to Yellowstone National Park. Some fly into a major airport such as Salt Lake City or Las Vegas and drive up. But Salt Lake City to Yellowstone is about a 5 hours drive; if you want to stop to see Salt Lake City or the surrounding areas, it may be worth it.
Driving from Las Vegas Airport to Yellowstone would take about 10 hours. There are places you can see along the way, but still, a lot of driving compared to other airport options.
The closest airport to Yellowstone is the West Yellowstone Airport; this airport is only open for part of the year. The Jackson Hole Airport and the Bozeman Yellowstone International Airports are not too far away and offer easy access to Yellowstone National Park.
Conquer Virtual Challenges – Yellowstone National Park
If you are traveling to Yellowstone National Park, a great way to continue to see the park or to prepare for your visit is to participate in a Conquer virtual challenge for Yellowstone national park. As you walk by, swim, run or do a host of other fitness activities, you can count those miles towards the miles you virtually travel through Yellowstone National Park.
What we love about the Conquer Virtual Challenge is that you can do it alone or with friends. You can virtually travel as if you were traveling through Yellowstone National Park.
As you virtually travel through Yellowstone National Park, when you pass an area of interest, the Conquer Virtual Challenge will email you a postcard and tell you about the area you have just visited. You can also view where you are on Google Maps.
When you complete your journey through Yellowstone National Park on the Conquer Virtual Challenge App, they will send you a medal to show you completed the journey.
The Conquer Virtual Challenge is a great way to virtually see some of Yellowstone National Park.
Find out more about the Conquer Virtual Challenge and Yellowstone challenge; you can click on the link below to receive 10% off your first challenge.
At A Bus On A Dusty Road, we talk about travel, life, and ex-pat living. We are all about “Living Life As A Global Citizen.” We explore social, cultural, and economic issues and travel.
Subscribe to our A Bus On A Dusty Road YouTube Channel with great videos and information by clicking here.
Best Way To Visit Yellowstone Without A Car
The closest airport to Yellowstone is the West Yellowstone Airpot. There are ground transportation services available at the airport. Yellowstone does have many tour companies that can operate a host of tours; the National Park Service keeps a complete list. Is it also possible for you to do your self-guided tour.
Is Yogi Bears Jellystone Park Based On Yellowstone Park?
Yogi bear’s Jellystone is known to be based in Yellowstone National Park, even though it is supposed to represent all U.S. National Parks. Yogi Bear is a fictional cartoon character that has been around since 1958 but has recently seen some reemergence with a new Yogi Bear Movie (2010) and Jellystone Cartoon series (2021).
By clicking here, you can discover Is Yogi Bears Jellystone Park Based On Yellowstone Park?.
What Happened To The Black Wolf At Yellowstone?
The Black wolves at Yellowstone are still part of Yellowstone National Park. In Yellowstone, 505 of the wolves are black; the black color is not native to most wolf populations.