“A Bus On A Dusty Road is about living a globally inspired life while telling the stories of those you meet along the way. It is about travel, ex-pat living, international foods, and traveling to places our ancestors once walked and lived. “– Anita L. Hummel
My Story – A Bus On A Dusty Road
I have spent over 30 years traveling and working as an ex-pat in Asia (China, Vietnam, Thailand, and Hong Kong). I have traveled to almost all parts of the region. My career In Asia focuses on manufacturing home decor and home furnishing products (Mondoro.com). This career choice allows me to go into many handicraft villages and meet and work with local craftsmen and women artisans.
My life of travel started long before my ex-pat life in Asia. In High School, I spent six months as a foreign exchange student in Sundsvall, Sweden.
In college, I spent one summer backpacking Europe, and another summer, I lived in Taiwan and taught English. It was there during my Taiwan experience that I decided I needed to see China for myself. I saved up my money to spend another one of my summers backpacking China.
A Bus On A Dusty Road is about is about travel, living life on the road, working while traveling, life as an ex-pat, global foods, and traveling with meaning as traveling to discover your family history. A Bus On A Dusty Road is about living the life of a global citizen.
Fun Facts About Anita Hummel
- Graduated from Brigham Young University in International Relations.
- Has an MMLCBLA which is a lot of letters for a Master’s in Law, Chinese Business Law (Open University of Hong Kong)
- Co-authored a book.
- Guest speaker at various university and MBA programs.
- Anita can be seen most days riding her Honda scooter around Hanoi.
- Founded Project Sprouts, a grassroots charity organization that helps impoverished schools and students in North Vietnam.
- Lived in Sundsvall, Sweden, during part of High School.
- Spent one summer backpacking Europe.
- Spent another summer backpacking in China.
- Taught English in Taiwan for a summer.
- Anita does a morning master’s fitness swim class but is still not a very good swimmer; she has to wear fins to keep up with the other swimmers.
- Has an MSc, Masters in Strategic Planning from Edinburgh Business School (Scotland)
- Is a Doctorate Candidate in Strategic Planning.
- Loves a life of travel and adventure.
- On the Global Board of BYU Management Society.
- Has been an ex-pat for over 30 years.
- I rode a camel and discovered it is not as comfortable as it looks in the movies.
- Has studied Chinese, Vietnamese and Swedish; knows enough in each language to get around and get in trouble.
- An artist who loves to paint funky pictures of dogs, cats, and women of culture.
- Spends many Saturday mornings cycling with friends around the countryside of Vietnam.
- Has cycled Ragbrai, the annual bicycle ride through the USA state of Iowa, and discovered Iowa is not flat.
- I cycled between the BYU’s which is from BYU Provo, Utah, to BYU Idaho and learned it was a crazy thing to do.
- Loves any kind of good BBC murder mystery.
- Is a news Junkie.
- Loves YouTube.
- Anita took flying lessons in Hong Kong.
- Is a Foodie who loves good and exciting food.
- Comes from a family of six girls and a home with one bathroom.
- I love to sail but am not very good at it; I hope to become a better sailor one day.
Publications, Speaking, News, Etc.
“Starting & Operating a Business in Thailand,” by Anita Louise Hummel and coauthored with Pise Sethsathira, a Law Professor and Legal Advisor to the Thai Government. Published and Printed by McGraw – Hill Book Co – Singapore, 1991.
“Crafting a Life in Asia,” an article written about Anita Hummel for the Bridges Alumni Magazine, Volume 2012, Issue 2, a publication of the David M, Kennedy Center for International Relations, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
Anita Louise Hummel, “Vì giáo dục, ai cũng có thề làm việc nghĩa!, an article written about Anita Hummel and her charity work with Project Sprouts. Publication of Giáo Duc Thời Đại, a national Vietnamese newspaper about education, November 30, 2020.
Anita Hummel Speaking Assignments and International Workshops:
- Seoul, Korea – May 2017, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship/Women in Business.
- Hong Kong – May 2018, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship/Women in Business.
- Ulaanbaatar , Mongolia – May 2019, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship.
- Provo, Utah – October 2019, BYU Management Society Annual Conference – Workshop on Building International Chapters.
Anita Hummel has also been a featured speaker for Brigham Young University Marriott School, University of Las Vegas, and SCUT (The Southern China University of Technology).