The Vietnamese dish of Bún Bò Nam Bộ translates from Vietnamese into English to – The beef noodle dish from the southern region. What is interesting about Bún Bò Nam Bộ is that even though the North Vietnamese consider it to be from South Vietnam it is actually a more popular dish in North Vietnam than South Vietnam.
To Go Straight To The Vietnamese Bun Bo Nam Bo- A Warm Beef Noodle Salad and Video – Click On The Link Below:Jump to Recipe
Some people say that Bún Bò Nam Bộ was brought from South Vietnam to North Vietnam. Others say that it originated in North Vietnam but as the dish is considered to have a more southern Vietnamese style to it that is why they consider it to be from South Vietnam. The truth is that no one really knows for sure where Bún Bò Nam Bộ came from or how it became so popular in the Northern Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, Vietnam.
Bún Bò Nam Bộ is one of the top 10 dishes that CNN Travel says that everyone should try to eat in Vietnam. CNN Travel has said this about Bún Bò Nam Bộ:
About the Bun Bo Nam Bo Ingredients
Here are the different parts to Bún Bò Nam Bộ or the Vietnamese Warm Beef Salad:
- Beef – The beef used in Bún Bò Nam Bộ is a very thinly sliced beef The beef is marinated and then cooked together with garlic and oil on very high heat. This allows the beef to not only cook quickly but to also be full of flavor.
- Rice Noodle – Rice noodles are a staple in Vietnam. In Vietnam, we purchase the rice noodles fresh the day we are going to use them. But when you make your Bún Bò Nam Bộ if you are not able to purchase the rice noodles fresh you can buy rice noodles that are dried and then boil them as per the instructions on the rice noodle packet. Try to get a packet of Vietnamese rice noodles since not all rice noodles are exactly the same. Some of the Vietnamese brands such as Annie Chun’s, Three Ladies, or Caravelle have some good rice noodles. If you cannot find these brands and you live near a large Asian Grocery store you can go there and ask them what Vietnamese Rice Noodles they recommend. If you want you can try to make your own rice noodles, click here for a very easy recipe from Epicurious that you can try to make.
- Vegetable Salad – One of the great things about Bún Bò Nam Bộ is that it is filled with a lot of fresh vegetables. If you live in a place like America you should be able to get most of these vegetables. The vegetables for Bún Bò Nam Bộ includes lettuce, fresh cilantro, fresh mint, and fresh bean sprouts.
Watch our video on how to produce Bun Bo Nam Bo, by clicking below.
In this video we will show you how we:
- Marinate and cook the beef for the Bún Bò Nam Bộ
- Make the Bún Bò Nam Bộ sauce
- Prepare the vegetables for the salad
- Prepare and serve your Bún Bò Nam Bộ
You can download a copy of our Bun Bo Nam Bo Recipe or Warm Beef Noodle Salad by clicking on the link below:
The Vietnamese Bun Bo Nam Bo- A Warm Beef Noodle Salad Recipe
For this recipe, you will need about 100 grams or 3.5 ounces of garlic that is finely cut up or pressed. This is about 6 gloves of small size garlic. You can feel free to add or take out the garlic as to your own preferred tastes.