My grandparents owned a bakery in downtown Stockholm for many years. We grew up with our Mormor (what we call my mother’s mother in Swedish) visiting us in the states and baking all her delicious Swedish recipes. This recipe is one of our traditional family Swedish recipes and one of my all-time favorite brownie recipes.
To Go Straight To Swedish Brownie and Video – Click On The Link Below:Jump to Recipe
Like a lot of outstanding quality baked goods, there are very few ingredients, but the ingredients that are used should always be top quality. You will also notice that this recipe has no baking soda or baking powder. Many traditional Swedish recipes never used baking powder or baking soda.
Table of Contents
- Very Easy Brownie Recipe
- Swedish Brown Recipe Notes
- My Swedish Grandmother’s Swedish Brownies
Very Easy Brownie Recipe
This is one of the easiest brownie recipes out there and is so much better than the box brownie recipes. There is no need for you to buy the box brownies, and this recipe is as easy to make as the box recipes.
And it is so much fresher as this uses ONLY fresh and natural ingredients. This is because this recipe has been used for many years, even before baking with baking soda or baking powder became popular.
One difference you may notice is that the brownies will not rise as much if they have baking powder in it. But they are still very moist and delicious.
Swedish Brown Recipe Notes
Good ingredients is the key to any good baked goods. Here are some notes on these ingredients.
- Cocoa powder – As cocoa powder is one of the main ingredients, you should always use high-quality cocoa powder. Hershey Powder is always a good brand, you can find out more by clicking here. Another good option is Ghirardelli Cocoa. You can find out more by clicking here.
- Butter – Use good quality butter. Do not try to use margarine or a butter substitute in this recipe. Whenever we can, we will use good quality European butter like the Kerry Gold Irish Butter, you can find out more by clicking here. If you can find French butter, President, we like that brand of butter. Here is more information on the President brand of butter by clicking here. We find that the President brand is such a high-quality brand of butter; once you have had President butter, you may never eat another butter again.
- Eggs – Use a good quality egg. Do not use any egg substitutes.
- Vanilla – Use very good quality vanilla. In the recipe, we have used Trader Joes Bourbon Vanilla. We recommend that you use real vanilla and not imitation vanilla.
- Salt – We use natural sea salt, so if possible, try to use good quality sea salt like this Celtic Fine Sea Salt is good, you can find out more here.
- Flour – Use good quality flour, like your basic Pillsbury Best All Purpose Flour is good. You can find out more here.
Baking The Brownies
It is important not to overbake brownies. Many people make a mistake: they will overbake their brownies and then wonder why they are dry. If you want your brownies to be a bit gooey, then underbake them a bit.
The Swedes will bake these in small muffin pans. If you use small muffin pans for these, then cut the baking time.